Coasters to Pin-Board Tutorial


Coasters to Pin-Board Tutorial

When I built my sewing/cutting table, I had to rearrange the furniture, so I would be able to use it from at least two sides. The rearranging resulted in a large, white wall with two sad, plain pin-boards. Since it takes years for me to decide what pictures to hang on a wall (and since I share this space with my boyfriend, we also need to agree on something…), I went for more pin-boards!

I bought these pot coasters at IKEA, not really sure what I wanted to do with them. A few days later I found the smaller ones at a supermarket, and since they were small and cute they also went home with me.


My first thought was to use spray adhesive, but after the rearrangement of the furniture, I couldn’t find it… and since it was Sunday (and in Germany, Sunday everything is closed…) and I didn’t want to wait for Monday, I went for Mod Podge.



Then I had to choose fabric, and since I don’t have a certain color scheme in the room, I went for colorful with some green to calm it down.


Here we go:

1) Mark the size of the coasters on the fabric and cut it out with ca. 3 cm allowance for the large coasters (remember, that you have to fold it over the side, so you’ll “lose” ca. 1 cm there) and ca. 1,5 cm for the small ones.



2) Smudge the Mod Podge on the cork with a brush. Cork is quite porous, so make sure you apply it thickly.


3) Lay out the fabric right side down, so you see your marks, and put the coaster with the smudged side down onto the fabric.



4) Turn the coaster over, roll over the top with a foam roller (or something similar, just remember that you will have some glue residue on it) to straighten the fabric. Then apply some more Mod Podge with a brush, but not too thick.

5) Let it dry, until you can touch it. Then cut into the fabric in ca. 1 cm intervals all the way around.
DON’T cut all the way up to the coaster! Leave a gap in the size of the edge of the coaster, so when you fold it over, you don’t see the cuts around the boarder. (Does this make sense?! I hope you can tell what I mean from the pictures…)

6) Now, put Mod Podge all around the edge and the back of the coaster. Then one by one, fold the fabric strips over to the back, so that they overlap. I used my brush (and fingers…), to glue the strips down.


7) Let them dry completely.

8) Then attach hooks on the back and put ‘em up on your wall! I didn’t put hooks on the small ones, because they are too thin for nails and glue wouldn’t hold the hook in it’s place. So I just nailed them straight on the wall!






What would I do different?

1) You can’t really pin something on the small boards because they’re too thin, so either find thicker ones or glue two together (I might just do that now…)
2) If you want to pin a lot on the boards, use spray adhesive instead of Mod Podge
3) Paint the coasters white first, so the cork doesn’t shine through


Products:

Fabric:
Solid green: pulled from stash.
Large prints: from a scrap-bag I bought ages ago, either from Josiemart or from Starlit Nest Fabric. 
Small flower print: a Japanese fabric I bought at a local fabric store, also a very long time ago. This one is pretty similar; other options are here, here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment